Residency in Portugal

Residency in Portugal Unless you can prove that you were settled (living permanently) in Portugal before 31/12/20 Britons must now apply for a visa if you want to move stay for longer than 90 days or move there.

Once you have arrived in Portugal - no matter what type of visa you have. You must register with the town hall (camara) to obtain your “residencia” (also know as the Certificado de Registo de Cidadao da Uniao Europeia).

Types of visa

Retirement visa

The D7 visa is an option - also known as the ‘retirement’ and ‘passive income’ visa - is available to anyone who can prove they have a form of income for outside Portugal: a pension, salary from remote working for a company based in the UK, rental income or freelance work.

Work permit

If you are hoping to work in Portugal you must apply for a different type of visa - a work permit - providing a business plan for approval; or your employer applies. A D2 Visa is for entrepreneurs and self-employed people - begin the application process at the UK Portuguese Consulates.

Golden Visa

There’s also the Golden Visa: available to those who buy a property (or properties) in Portugal worth at least €280,000 (in low-density areas) up to €500,000 in cities and coastal areas. But it will be restricted to certain areas after January 2022.

Non-habitual Residents scheme

The Non-Habitual Residents scheme (not a visa) is a vehicle for high-earning people to pay low tax rates for 10 years if they become tax resident (spending over 183 days a year in Portugal). This means pensions are taxed at 20 per cent. Seek specialist advice about type of assets/ exemptions.