Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa

Spain's Non-Lucrative Visa Spain's Non-Lucrative Visa is a long-stay visa.

It's a popular choice for UK residents who want to spend longer than 90 days in Spain following the new Brexit regulations, but who don't plan on working in Spain.

Find out more about the income requirements, who can apply and how to navigate the application process below.

What is a Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa?

The Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa is for non-working individuals who have a reliable, ongoing source of income (pensions, investments etc...).

You aren't permitted to work for a Spanish company under this visa, so if you were offered a job/professional activity within Spain once you obtain this visa you would need to apply for a work permit after one year. 

How much do you need to earn to obtain a Non-Lucrative Visa in Spain?

The minimum income needed to apply for a Non-Lucrative visa is €28,800 per year for an individual, or €36,000 for a married couple. If you're moving to Spain with children you'll also need to prove an additional income per minor. So the total income required annually for a family of four would be €50,400.

You'll also need to have private medical insurance if you are under 65.

How to apply for a Non-Lucrative Visa

Your application(s) must be made before you leave for Spain. You'll need to do this via one of the Spanish Consulates in the UK (in London, Manchester & Edinburgh). The application takes 30-90 days to be approved, and there's a non-refundable fee to pay too.

When you apply you'll also need to submit passport photos, your passport, birth certificate, proof of a clean criminal record, proof of private medical policy valid in Spain, medical certificate, and proof of income (bank statements).

Once you have received this visa, you can enter Spain. The Non-Lucrative Visa is valid for one year, after which it is renewable for another two years (but sufficient income must be proved to cover both of years), then another two. After five years in Spain you can get a long-term residence permit (and after 10, you can apply for citizenship).

After obtaining your visa and moving to Spain you will need to apply for TIE (foreigner’s identity card) and register with the Padron (census) in your local municipality within a month of arriving there. If you spend 183 days a year in the country, you will automatically become a tax resident, and pay income tax on your worldwide income.

Don't think this visa is right for you? Find out more about the Spanish Golden Visa here.