When you think of Costa del Sol, well-known resorts such as Malaga, Marbella and Puerto Banus may come to mind. Costa del Sol is actually far bigger than most property hunters realise and includes a number of desirable areas that have much to offer, including great value for money.
One such location is quaint, yet up and coming town of Estepona. With its year-round beautiful weather, close proximity to airports, relaxed lifestyle and stunning cuisine, it's fast becoming one of the most attractive places to buy a property on the Costa del Sol.
An introduction to Estepona
Just a short drive from Marbella, Estepona is popular with locals and foreign buyers alike. You may have seen the beautiful blue and pink flowers that hang from the sides of buildings? Well, you can expect that pretty feel in Estepona. In recent years, the town has been rejuvenated and now has colourful flower beds, coffees shops and landscaped parks dotted throughout.
Formally a traditional fishing town, Estepona offers the authentic Spanish feel and is home to a community of Spaniards with little expat tourists. The coastal town is situated near to Puerto Banus and has its own marina which is surrounded by locally owned restaurants, shops and beautiful beaches. Due to its fabulous whether it’s an all year round resort, which makes it a great place to own for a permanent residency or a property that can be used for holidays and rentals.
Key location hotspots in Estepona
- With at least five golf courses in the local area and the most obvious being the popular Estepona Golf resort, the area has much to offer golf players.
- There is a huge variety of locally owned restaurants and bars offering all types of cuisine including Spanish, Italian and French. Many of the restaurants offer diners to eat al fresco (outside) during the late evening.
- For those who wish to relax, there are two Blue Flag beaches to enjoy! The first being the small cove of Playa Del Cristo which is to the West of the town, and the other being the long sandy La Rada Beach to the East of Estepona marina.
- For the adventurous, there are great hikes in stunning mountains and valleys that surround Estepona.
- For the families, there are many day trip attractions such as Selwo Safari Park which has 2,000 animals. Great for the grandchildren!
Properties in Estepona
In Estepona, you can expect to get far more property for your money when compared to similarly priced properties in tourist-popular destinations such as Marbella. Currently, in and around Estepona there is a variety of property available to suit most buyers requirements and budgets.
Popular property choices are apartments within close proximity of the coast and with access to a communal pool and gardens, such as these apartments here from just £106,879. Alternatively, you could escape toward the valleys and find a new build villa or townhouse within a gated complex. Such as this development from £220,187.
For golf lovers, there are many developments either situated on or near to the award-winning courses which allow you to be only a short walk from the first tee. Properties from £166,461 such as this wonderful townhouse. There are also exclusive club resorts that offer the residential community with additional benefits such as gyms, indoor pools and a local bar as well as access to the golf course!
Making the move and living in Estepona
Like the rest of Costa del Sol, Estepona attracts many holidaying tourists. However, unlike some towns, the expat population in Estepona is relatively small with the majority of the community being Spanish. For some, this is a huge benefit and allows buyers to embrace the Spanish culture.