Over 250,000 of you visit the A Place in the Sun website each month. To help you on your overseas property journey, we plan to bring you a regular feature looking at the most popular hotspots - starting with the lively town of Villamartin, located just south of Torrevieja on the southern Costa Blanca in Alicante. Villamartin narrowly fended off the Dordogne for 'highest number of property searches' on the site in 2013.
Villamartin: Great Location, Even Better Prices
Talking to our readers, there are several major reasons why property in Villamartin is attracting so much interest - not least of which, homes in the sun are available from just €41,000
Here are some of the other highlights pinpointed by our readers:
1. Accessibility. Villamartin is in a great location, 45 mins from Alicante airport, 30 mins from Murcia, both well served from the UK and other European destinations, so you can leave the UK on morning flight, and be on a sun lounger by midday!
2. Close to the beach, where you can enjoy over 300 days of sunshine per year.
3. Great restaurants and a bustling nightlife at Villamartin plaza.
4. Three 18-hole golf courses within five minutes of each other: Villamartín Golf, Las Ramblas de Orihuela Golf and Campoamor Golf. There are two more 10-15 minutes north.
5. Great shopping. It's only 10 mins from the landmark new La Zenia shopping centre.
6. Expat friendly and multi-national community, where English is widely spoken.
Villamartin Property Prices
Prices throughout Villamartin are competitive, with average sold prices typically in these ranges:
Two-bed apartments: €65k to €90k
Townhouses (two/three beds): €80k to €120k
Villas: €105k upwards...
Search for all properties in Villamartin here >>>
But don't just take it from us... "We live here!"
Retired expats Patrick and Elizabeth Flood saw the appeal of Alicante, and moved into a two-bed, two-bath Villamartin apartment in April 2013. They paid around €89,000 for their new furnished home, including taxes and fees. Conveniently located, they have access to a communal pool and gardens, and are close to amenities.
"We decided to emigrate to Spain, which is a much better country for retirement [than the UK] and the only place in the world in which we could afford to buy a home. I couldn't live in the UK again as it is much too cold and so dreary!" says Elizabeth.
The process was made easy by their Costa Blanca agent, HomeEspaña.
"The people at HomeEspaña quickly allayed our fears with the professional and friendly manner in which the whole transaction was made," added Elizabeth. "HomeEspaña has been with us every step of the way and have a terrific after sales service too."
Looking for your ideal retirement property on the Costa Blanca?
Click here to search all our properties in Alicante >>>