But funeral plans?
There are several details to consider:
• Cost - funerals can be in excess of €4,500 and are rising by 10 per cent per year: how can I or my family afford to pay for my funeral, will my savings cover this? Will the funeral director demand immediate payment?
• Distress - Funerals can be completed within 24 hours, a very big change from your home country: will there be time for my family and friends to pay their respects?
• Control - How can I be sure that I will get the type of funeral that my family and I wish for? Will the local funeral director follow normal tradition in my adopted country?
• Language difficulties - If you can't speak the language you are potentially vulnerable; will I get a service that I want and at the right price?
• Fix the funeral cost - at today's levels so the longer you live the more you save against rising costs. It doesn't matter whether you live 5 or 50 years.
• Secure trust fund - Monies are deposited with major banks in trust fund held separate to the company. The funeral director is paid his fee from the trust fund upon satisfactory completion of the funeral. This eliminates financial worries compared to the upfront method of payment.
• Control - All funeral arrangements are put into place according to your requirements. There is just one call to a 24-hour bereavement line number and the funeral director is under a legally binding contract responsible for having up to 50 arrangements in place according to your plan.
• Flexible payment methods - The funeral savings account allow members to make payment to suit their pocket, full payment or deferred. Some people have cash sums set aside for emergencies and funeral expenses, but you can also pay by installments.
• Health requirements - no restrictions. Unlike insurance companies, a declaration of health is not needed; there are no age limits
With help from Avalon Funeral Plans